Monday, April 03, 2006

Self-absorption versus Self-indulgence -or- The Moral Implications of Blogging

I held out on the entire blog idea for quite a while. Certainly, the idea of chronicling every zany idea, random satire, or amusing rant that might pop into my head has been tickling the back of my mind for quite a while. However, I couldn’t help but feel that perhaps random, non-important-cause-or-interesting-subject-related blogging is an occupation of the self-absorbed. As a twenty-something, self-absorption is a stereotype I feel obligated fight against. Really though, many people who I know and would not consider self-absorbed do indeed blog. I therefore find myself convinced there is no direct correlation between blogging and being entirely self-absorbed. However, I suppose still I worried of the less severe label of self-indulgent.

My revelation of the weekend: perhaps I am, indeed, self-indulgent. The evidence? I buy flowers and good wine, even when I have no one to share them with. I take vacations. Lots of ‘em. Not to mention that my bedside stand contains not one, not two, but three devices whose sole purpose could only be described as “self-indulgent.” So alas, self-indulgent I must be and therefore blog starting will only help me remain true to my character. However, I do plan to be gracefully self-indulgent, and promise to at least occasionally write about matters other than my own life. Maybe.

Future rationalizations of my behavior may be shorter, but certainly don’t count on it.