Saturday, September 16, 2006

Further "Friendly" Fire

Further clarification on the pope’s remarks about atheists and Islam in Pope said to be upset Muslims offended:

"Indeed it was he who, before the religious fervor of Muslim believers, warned secularized Western culture to guard against 'the contempt for God and the cynicism that considers mockery of the sacred to be an exercise of freedom,'" Bertone said, citing words from another speech that Benedict gave during the German trip.


Pfff! What would I do with my spare time if I had to guard against cynicism and mockery of the sacred? Secularism is more dangerous than religious fervor? Pffff! A note: I don’t have contempt for god (as I don't believe in him/her/it), but my contempt for the thoughts of the pope certainly continues to grow.

Two churches in the West Bank were hit by firebombs Saturday, and a group claiming responsibility said it was protesting Benedict's words.


Right. Secularism is a LOT more dangerous than religious fervor. Those were friendly firebombs!