Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Guest Blogging & Vincent Van Goat

I’m going to be one of fiver guest bloggers at www.theatheistmama.com while Cassandra is off vacationing and meeting with Richard Dawkins on his God Delusion tour. Seeing as the closest I will get to Richard Dawkins is his appearance on the Colbert Report I recorded last night, I had the urge to be terribly jealous. I believe I have quelled said urge.

Cassandra is a member of my local humanist group and THE Atheist Mama. She’s a stay at home mom with two boys and is quite active in the online atheist community. See, I said all nice things, so I must have quelled my jealousy. Or perhaps Cassandra is just too nifty to not write nifty things about and I’m still horribly jealous. One or the other.

Anyway, as an atheist who is entirely childless, I’ve decided my main qualification to contribute to a blog entitled “The Atheist Mama” is that I formerly owned two lovely pet goats, Vincent and Thyme. Parenting “kids” of the goat variety from an atheist standpoint is, indeed, a challenge. I’m proud to say I worked hard to ensure both knew of my feelings towards religious law, and I believe they took my explanations to heart. A heartening tale: one afternoon, as I was waving around a Gideon’s while lecturing Vincent on the dangers of mixing church and state, he reached over and took a bite straight out of Leviticus! Take that vultures- and- mildew- and- the- many- sorts- of- people- you- aren’t- supposed- to- have- sex- with- related passages!

(Okay, so, the story in the above paragraph is indeed fabricated. Well, except for the part about having goats. I did have pet goats who would frequently consume paper products.)

I am no longer a “goat parent”, as they began eating my house and I was forced to give them away. I believe that giving away your kids for such reasons is generally considered poor parenting, but we all have our limits, eh? I shall still draw from my extensive goat parenting knowledge when guest blogging. Or something like that.

Above silliness aside, I’ll be posting at www.theatheistmama.com periodically from October 20th to the 29th. Please stop by!